Hello All! It’s that time again!
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday is comprised of a list of my top ten books dealing with tough subjects – sponsered by The Broke and the Bookish — http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/2013/05/tahleens-top-ten-things-to-read-when.html
This is a good topic, made me think — but it’s a little depressing. I feel like life can’t be all roses and laughter though – so to me these books have a place just like the ones that are super romantic, or funny. So here we go! Here is my Top Ten list of Books that deal with tough subjects:
1. Where She Went by Gayle Foreman – This book to me really shows the effects of the utter despair of this large loss. But it’s done in such a beautiful way – I enjoyed the first book too, but I think book really shows the after effects.
2. Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry – I’m not even done with this – but it has some serious issues – both characters have gone through difficult situations but their love for each other makes things bearable – It’s done so well even though it address tough subjects.
3. The Program by Suzanne Young – This one addresses a very serious subject – teenage suicide.. But I really loved it so much, the topic which is so heavy – but it was written so well – I cannot wait for this series to continue.
4. Screwed by Laurie Pillsner – Teenage Pregnancy, and a tough situation with her parents. The story started out slow but by the end it had a piece of my heart.
5. True by Ellen McCarthy – This story isn’t heavily related to the tough subjects – but it deals with addiction and loss in a very real way. This isn’t a “re-reader” or favorite – but I enjoyed it and thought the story was real life and it resonated with me long term.
6. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Hiffenegger – This story is only tough I believe because of the end, and once you know what’s going to happen, you are just waiting for the other foot to drop. I don’t want to give anything away, but it certainly deals with intense loss – but what I love about it is that it shows serious love, the kind of love we all wish for, or at least I do.
7. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen – I was wavering on this, the story itself doesn’t have a very tough issue – but animal abuse in any form really GETS me – so it was hard to read that.. I have to admit I really only initially read it b/c the movie was coming out with my absolute favorite R. Patz – but the book was more than I expected and I did enjoy it.
8. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Piccoult – This book absolutely deals with difficult subject matter – intense loss. The story was intense, but page turning.. The one rant I have here is the movie – How in the WORLD could the author approve such a large change in the end of the story..?? I almost walked out. A story this wonderful should have been more honestly represented – even though the movie was good – I could NOT believe it was so vastly different from the book I loved so much.
9. If You Stay by Courtney Cole – This is a new author and the first book I read by her, it is about addiction and although I wasn’t sure it was exactly a realistic portrayl of the siutation and how difficult it could be, I did enjoy the romance and how the characters brought the best in each other and although it was tough – they still made it work. There is a second book coming out and I will def be reading it!
10. At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks – This book flat out ripped my heart out.. I read the first book, “True Believer” and then was so excited to read this – but in typical Nicholas Sparks style it hit me – all i can say is WOW – this book was so intense with the loss I could barely stomach some of the pages, but it was the kind of book that you had to finish and in the end I was happy I did.
Well that’s all folks – depressed enough?
Again, I really believe that life is’nt all romance and rainbows, so these have a place too – and the hard stuff sometimes makes you really think – and in some of my lower moments helped me realize that I am not the only person going through difficult things…
Happy Tuesday Everyone!
- Top Ten Tuesday – Tough Topics (thegrownupya.wordpress.com)
- Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books that Deal with Tough Subjects (bookblogbake.wordpress.com)
- My First Top Ten Tuesday Brought to us by The Broke and the Bookish (bookgirlfromsouthcarolina.wordpress.com)